Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"From the hospital to healing..." The scary reality of overdose

This weeks story is a story very common among adolescents who elect to abuse heroin once painkillers become unattainable....


I woke up in the hospital and was told that I had overdosed on heroin; my friends had left me in the bathroom of a shopping mall where I easily could have died if I had not been found. My home life was good and my parents were supportive but I chose to look to my friends for advice and thought thatmy friends were all I had and they let me down. I started using drugs at age 12 and by age 15 I would go to any extreme to get my drugs even if it meant stealing. After the overdose I was referred to Odyssey House for treatment and am very close to graduation. I had not been to school since the ninth grade, but now I have a 3.8 grade point average, will graduate from Odyssey Academy with a high school diploma and start college in the fall. No other treatment program seemed to work for me. Odyssey House has given me a new hope for the future. I have changed my life.

CF, Holladay, Utah

No comments: